Question/Answer: UK Study Visa

• Can you tell me what is the mode of instruction for courses?
• Some courses are taught while others require research. Taught courses usually involve presentations, written course work such as marked essays, exams and dissertations. Classroom sessions are highly interactive, requiring student participation.

• Can you tell me if I can study part-time?
• Although universities do offer part-time courses, they are not an option for most non-European students. Non European students can enter the UK on a student visa only if they are planning to study a full-time course.

• Can you tell me if there are there any distance learning courses that I can enroll for?
• Yes, there are some universities/colleges that offer distance-learning courses.

• Can you tell me if there is a last date for admission to a British university?
• Undergraduate students from outside the European Union applying through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admission System) should make sure they have submitted their application by 30th June of the year of entry. While there is no formal last date for applying for admission to a postgraduate course, it is recommended that you do so as soon as possible, especially if you want to receive any kind of financial assistance. Some courses are more popular than others and will be filled long before the commencement date.

• Can you tell me where can I get the UCAS undergraduate application form?
• You can obtain the under-graduate application form (UCAS) from the British Council, Work Permit Expertoffices or download it from the UCAS website.

• Can you tell me where I can get the post-graduate application forms?
• You can get the post-graduate application forms from the Work Permit Expert(UK) offices in Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, and Delhi as well as from the Admissions Office of the various universities.

Can you tell me if there’s a limit on the number of universities that I can apply for and is there any application fee?
• For undergraduate students applying through UCAS you can apply to up to 6 universities/colleges on the same application form. For postgraduate students there is no formal limit to the number of universities/college that you can apply for and institutions generally do not charge an application fee.

• Can you tell me if I have to write the GRE, TOEFL, GMAT, IELTS or any other related exam?
• You may have to write the GMAT exam for admission into a MBA course in some universities. You may be required to sit on an English Language Test such as IELTS or TOEFL before the university will confirm your seat on the course. The IELTS is organised by the British Council and results take 2-3 weeks. The minimum scores usually required are 6.0 for IELTS and 550 for TOEFL. However this can be waived, if you personally meet representatives from the universities visiting your own country, who, depending on your fluency can make an unconditional offer without a formal test of English.

• Can you tell me when will I know the results of my application?
• It takes on average five weeks for a decision to be taken on an application. You are therefore strongly recommended to apply well in advance of the start date of your course. To speed up the decision process you can courier your application form to the University. Work Permit Experthas a special arrangement with its represented universities in that our applications are given priority and decisions are either faxed or e-mailed which reduces the waiting period. However this may only marginally reduce the waiting period.

• Can you tell me what does it cost to study in the UK?
• The cost of living in the UK depends on the course and the institution.Click for more information.
• Can you tell me something about the currency of the UK?
• There are 100 pennies in £ 1. There are eight different coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. Click for more information.
• Can you tell me are there any scholarships, and what is the criteria of selection?
• Most universities offer both full and partial scholarships.Click for more information.
• Can you tell me how easy is it to get a British visa? What documents do I have to show?
• Your nationality will determine whether you are required to apply for a student visa before entering the UK or not. Some nationalities are allowed to arrive in the UK and apply at the port of entry for a student visa.Click for more information.
• Can you tell me how much UK currency must I carry with me and where can I buy it?
• Once your visa has been granted you are advised to contact your bank and seek clarification from them about obtaining UK pounds. Click for more information.
• Can you tell me what kind of an account can I open in the UK?
• There is a lot of competition among British banks to attract students to open a student account. The main British banks are Barclays, Clydesdale, Lloyds, National Westminister (Natwest), TSB Bank, Bank of Scotland and the Royal Bank of Scotland.Click for more information.
Can you tell me where do I stay in the UK during the period of my studies? Is there any student accommodation?
• All the universities provide student accommodation. There is also private sector accommodation available.

• Can you tell me if I have to share my accommodation with other students? Do I have to cook my own food?
• You may have to share your accommodation if you go in for halls of residence, where students share rooms. Food is provided in such accommodation. But you can also opt for self-catering accommodation if you want to cook your own food.

• Can you tell me if I can work part-time to raise money for living expenses?
• As a student you are allowed to work for 20 hours per week during term time and full time during vacation periods. However, many students find it difficult to combine full-time study with part-time work. Post-graduate students find it especially hard to combine studies and working. Part-time work is usually done in the evenings and during weekends when there are no classes.

• Can you tell me what kinds of jobs are available for students and how much do they usually pay?
• Students usually work as waiters/waitresses, cleaners, shop assistants, petrol bunk assistants, etc. They usually pay four to five pounds an hour.

Can you tell me how do I get to my university after landing in the UK? Which is the cheapest mode of travel within the UK?
• Depending on theairport in which you are landing, you could take a taxi, train or bus from the airport itself.Click for more information.
• Can you tell me if I will have free access to e-mail? How expensive is it to call India?Use of phone card system has made phone calls cheaper than every before.
• You can keep in touch with your parents through 24-hour e-mail facility in the university/college. Call overseas is quite expensive, costing about 5-7 pence a minute to a destination in Asia. But you can buy phone cards which offer special rates.

• Can you tell me will it be all work and no play during term time? Are there any extra-curricular activities?
• Most universities/colleges have a lot of co-curricular activities that you can help to make your year in the UK fly. There are different clubs including religious clubs, sports clubs, and adventure clubs, social service clubs, music clubs. There are pubs where you can chill out after a hard days work as well as good theatre and cinema.

• Can you tell me if I can work in the UK after completing my studies? How do I get a work permit?
• The Training and Work Experience Scheme has been launched recently in Britain to assist overseas students in gaining work experience in the UK with a British-based employer.Click for more information.